Monday, October 24, 2011

Day 24, 2011: sew it goes...

On the same day, at the same time in Frocktober 2010 I did a very similar pose and I thought it was time to recreate the pose for 2011. Once again I am preparing to do a community radio program.
I made this skirt and it featured a few weeks ago in my unfinished sewing business. I got the fabric at a vintage clothing sale a few years ago. Libby and I queued for ages at this sale but we came away with some classic bargains. My mother is a dressmaker and she has always said "Sewing with good quality fabric always makes a difference." And she is right! She is never wrong, ask my Dad! This skirt sewed up like a treat but as my sewing machine had a little melt down, after a service I could finally do a button hole and finish it off. I got the 1970s pattern from an op shop. It has a little kick pleat at the front, which was easy to do and great for bike riding. And a tip from my Mum, to create a nice pleat, spray the fabric with white vinegar, then iron. Balsamic vinegar is a bit messy! 

2 comments:

  1. Hot sewing tips from your Mum. Great skirt Al.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, she should write a book called "Coral's Handy Hints"

    ReplyDelete